RE: Unknown SSL protocol error

From: Winslow, Dave - OJA <Dave.Winslow_at_wisconsin.gov>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 17:58:47 -0500

Dan Fandrich - Thank you.

We were successful in recompiling and re-linking libcurl with the
WS-FTP server fix (commenting out the check for session id re-use
code in ssluse.c - see previous posts in this thread).

1) Normally you need to build Open SSL for Win32 but, we did step 2
instead.

2) One of the keys to producing the modified "libcurl.dll"
was obtaining the open ssl binaries from the following site:
http://hunter.campbus.com/

3) Once you are at that site, if you click "Openssl-0.9.8b-Win32.zip"
you will find the following binaries: "ssleay32.dll" and "libeay32.dll".

4) Copy them to "system32".

5) We got the libcurl source from http://curl.haxx.se/download.html by
clicking "curl-7.15.5.zip (gpg) (mirror)".

6) Once we had the two open sll binaries in the system32 folder,
we could run the makefile from the libcurl download. This produced
libcurl.dll which we also put in system32. We messed around with this
for most of the day and there was much pulling of the hair.

To build the "libcurl.dll" we used the following command:
"nmake vc-dll-ssl-dll" (this is what confounded us for a while
Because I think the documentation on this is a little off).
We used Visual Studio 7.0. Make sure to run vcvars32.bat before
running nmake. We were unsuccessful building from the IDE.

7) We then got pycurl 7.15.5 and ran setup. I wasn't away of this
before but what "setup.py" does is produce the following:
in "pycurl-7.15.5\build\lib.win32-2.4" there is a "pycurl.pyd" file
and a "curl" folder with " __init__.py" in it.

8) All we then had to do was copy "pycurl.pyd" and the
"curl" folder to "C:\Python24\Lib\site-packages"!
"C:\Python24" is where we installed python.

9) With the three dll's described above (in <windows>\system32)
and "pycurl.pyd" and "curl" in the "site-packages" folder of
your python installation, the python script WORKS to put and get
files from the problematic WS-FTP server on WINDOWS.

And, as the Brits say, "Bob's your uncle".

Dave
ref: http://www.yaelf.com/aueFAQ/mifbobsyouruncle.shtml