Re: libcurl.so.[X]

From: Domenico Andreoli <cavok_at_libero.it>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 14:01:24 +0200

On Fri, Jun 04, 2004 at 01:39:38PM +0200, Tor Arntsen wrote:
> On Jun 4, 12:24, Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> [...]
> >On Linux, this means that the shared library will be named libcurl.so.3 when
> >installed. Other operating systems will have similar bumps in the numbering,
> >moving from 2 to 3.
> >
> >This should allow older programs to remain using the 2 (since they
> >theoretically might use the function we've removed) until they are rebuilt to
> >use the 3 one.
>
> You're right, but unfortunately the Debian packaging was done incorrectly --
> the previous libcurl (containing libcurl.so.2) .deb was named 'libcurl2',
> and a new package (libcurl3 presumably) should have been created, with
> libcurl.so.3. But the libcurl2 package have simply been changed to now
> contain libcurl.so.3, and apt-get upgrade will then remove the old .so
> in the process. In other words, everything using libcurl.so.2 will brake,
> there's no way to keep both so.2 and so.3 in the system :-(
> Clearly this is an error by the Debian package manager, and presumably
> this will be corrected (as there's now a bug report in the Debian BTS).

yes, my fault, sorry.

it would not be such a big problem if i could upload package libcurl3
but given the release timetable it might not be feasible right now.

libcurl2 is built from curl source package, if the latter starts to
build libcurl3 libcurl2 ends without its source package and gets removed
from the unstable archive. this leads to not few application depending
on a missing package and requiring the rebuild. it is this rebuild to
not be compatible with the release, probably.

libcurl3 would be a new package and subject to the approvation of
ftpmasters, a long thing in the latest months. so a little coordination
is required here. i sent a mail to discuss the best solution [0].

regards
domenico

[0] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2004/06/msg00238.html

-----[ Domenico Andreoli, aka cavok
 --[ http://people.debian.org/~cavok/gpgkey.asc
   ---[ 3A0F 2F80 F79C 678A 8936 4FEE 0677 9033 A20E BC50