Re: libcurl.so.[X]

From: Tor Arntsen <tor_at_spacetec.no>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 13:39:38 +0200

On Jun 4, 12:24, Daniel Stenberg wrote:
[...]
>On Linux, this means that the shared library will be named libcurl.so.3 when
>installed. Other operating systems will have similar bumps in the numbering,
>moving from 2 to 3.
>
>This should allow older programs to remain using the 2 (since they
>theoretically might use the function we've removed) until they are rebuilt to
>use the 3 one.

You're right, but unfortunately the Debian packaging was done incorrectly --
the previous libcurl (containing libcurl.so.2) .deb was named 'libcurl2',
and a new package (libcurl3 presumably) should have been created, with
libcurl.so.3. But the libcurl2 package have simply been changed to now
contain libcurl.so.3, and apt-get upgrade will then remove the old .so
in the process. In other words, everything using libcurl.so.2 will brake,
there's no way to keep both so.2 and so.3 in the system :-(
Clearly this is an error by the Debian package manager, and presumably
this will be corrected (as there's now a bug report in the Debian BTS).

-Tor