RE: WITHOUT_MM_LIB question

From: David Byron <DByron_at_everdreamcorp.com>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 11:07:09 -0700

On Fri, 28 May 2004, Gisle Vanem wrote:

> winmm.dll should be available on Win95 and up. winmm.lib is just
> an import lib for winmm.dll. So if you have winmm.lib, but
> not winmm.dll, it will fail at runtime when statically linked.

Can you tell me what commands to execute so I can look at winmm.lib and
figure this out for myself?

In the statically linked case, what happens if we call timeGetTime() but
winmm.dll isn't there?

If this all works out the way I think it's gonna, I'm pretty much
convinced this (dynamically loading winmm.dll) is the way to go. I'd
still like to make the change after this release though.

> Failing GetProcAddress(hmod,"timeGetTime") at runtime shouldn't hurt.
> It should just falls-back to GetLocalTime(). But this case
> should be rare.

I'm not worried about this either.

> But we could just go back to the old way; don't define WITHOUT_MM_LIB.

I think that's what my patch did. This is what I'd like to do for this
release independent of how the rest of the discussion goes.

Thanks much.

-DB