WITHOUT_MM_LIB question

From: David Byron <DByron_at_everdreamcorp.com>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 11:19:25 -0700

With the recent (http://curl.haxx.se/mail/lib-2004-05/0252.html) changes
to lib/Makefile.vc6, I'm a bit confused about when WITHOUT_MM_LIB is
defined.

Before this change, it looks like it wasn't defined when compiling the
library, so we got the high resolution version of getttimeofday in
timeval.c.

After this change, it is defined unless you specially set USEMM_LIBS
when compiling the library.

Complicated by this is that timeval.c is now built twice, once for the
library and once for the executable. This is fine, and makes sense.
Unfortunately, I think the default behavior now is:

- the library is compiled with WITHOUT_MM_LIB defined
- the executable is compiled without WITHOUT_MM_LIB defined

For those of us statically linking libcurl.lib into curl.exe on Windows,
this seems a bit odd, and kind of a bummer really. I like high res
time. Sorry I didn't get involved in this earlier.

Note also that currently, curl.exe is always linked with winmm.lib, so
the high res time is available.

I think I'm proposing to switch the default behavior back to compiling
the library without WITHOUT_MM_LIB defined. In other words, if someone
wants to compile the library with WITHOUT_MM_LIB, can they do it with
(yet) another configuration?

If someone tells me what configurations they want to build this way,
I'll include them in the patch to change the default CFLAGS back. I
guess it's the DLL ones (resulting in release-dll-nomm, etc.), but I'm
not sure.

Thanks.

-DB