Re: TODO for 7.11 (update)

From: codemastr <codemstr_at_ptd.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 14:24:05 -0500

> 9. Modify ares to do 'files bind' order instead of 'bind files' by default
> (not actually part of libcurl) See details by Frank Ticheler posted
here:
> http://curl.haxx.se/mail/archive-2003-11/0020.html

I did a little research on the nsswitch.conf file. Adding support for the
'files bind' vs 'bind files' doesn't seem like it is too difficult, however
the thing is this file seems to offer a lot more options than that. There
seems to be some way to define 'criteria.' For example it seems as though
you can do:

hosts: files [SUCCESS=return UNAVAIL=return NOTFOUND=continue] dns

In all there are four criteria, SUCCESS, UNAVAIL, NOTFOUND, TRYAGAIN. Any
of these can either have the value of continue or return assigned. For more
info, <http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/man-cgi?nsswitch.conf+4>. Anyway
though my point is, to fully support the /etc/nsswitch.conf file seems like
it is actually a lot of work since this file seems to offer a great deal of
configurability.

Also as a side note, does anyone happen to know if Windows has such an
option as well? I'd assume there is a way to tell it whether to use the
C:\windows\hosts or the DNS server first just as nsswitch.conf seems to do.
I'd guess (if Windows does have such a feature) that if nsswitch.conf
support is added to c-ares, then the same function should be added for
Windows as well.

By the way, I've read Frank Ticheler's email 3 times now, I can't see
anywhere where he mentioned that the _default_ order should be changed. To
me it seems like what he is requesting is that c-ares read the
/etc/nsswitch.conf file and use whatever order is defined therein.

Dominick Meglio