RE: building for Windows with SSL -- patch for config-win32.h

From: David Byron <DByron_at_everdreamcorp.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 14:31:04 -0800

On Thu 4-dec-2003, Gisle Vanem wrote:

> It can be used for VC6 or later. <ws2tcpip.h> is only
> included (needed) if building for IPv6 and/or OpenSSL. So
> your define is dependant on that fact since it's needed
> always (in ftp.c etc.).
>
> 'socklen_t' must be defined or not defined so it doesn't
> conflict with a header following it (e.g. ws2tcpip.h).
> Because MS didn't bother to
> surround their typedefs with "#ifndef SOCKLEN_T_DEFINED" etc.

Right. But when I compile what's checked in to cvs, I get a compiler
error...so, I need to get this defined somehow. The patch I sent works for
me, but it does break .NET.

> > Thanks. I'll try this. Is this something we "should" check in as
> > ca-bundle.h.cvs since we don't have autoconf/automake, etc. to
> > generate it for us?
>
> IMHO it's better to update the Makefile.VC6 to generate
> ca-bundle.h when needed. The "normal" way is to use 'sed' for
> search and replace. E.g. use ca-bundle.h.to generate
> ca-bundle.h by replacing
> #define CURL_CA_BUNDLE @CURL_CA_BUNDLE@
> with
> #define CURL_CA_BUNDLE getenv("CURL_CA_BUNDLE")

I don't think we can depend on having sed around but I agree it would be
nice to autogenerate this file if we can.

> Window makefiles in Open-source project have a ugly tendency to
> fall behind the rest since it doesn't use auto-configure.
> That's why I mostly use my own home made makefiles.

I think the difference here is that you're building with .NET and I'm
building with VC6. When I build with .NET, I'm able to build everything
fine without the patch. Maybe the only thing to do is add a note to
docs/INSTALL to say that a "new enough" SDK is required? Not sure what the
exact text should be.

Thanks again.

-DB