Re: Progress callback frequency

From: David Eklund <deklund_at_fastmail.fm>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 22:02:52 -0800

Thanks, Wei.

> I'm always open for suggestions on how to improve things.

Tough call. I'd at least suggest updating a few times each second if
you're going to do it that way though - as it is, when I downloaded a
file that was a bit under a meg over my cable connection, I got a "25%",
"83%", and then it was done - it wasn't -that- bad (considering the
download was done in a few seconds), but I would prefer a more smooth
process.

Peronally I'd think just calling the progress function based on amount
downloaded (eg. every 5 or 10 kilos or something) would be more useful,
though I can see the downside to that as well (for example, you really
wouldn't need it to be called that often if you're downloading at several
Mbit/s over a local network, while more often would be useful for a 2.5
kB/sec dial-up connection). Finally I was going to suggest something
more along the lines of basing it off how large a file you're
downloading, and then just update for every 1% downloaded or some such...
but again, there's problems with that too. :)

Anyway, I'm not really helping, heheh - I wish I could give you some
better suggestion. :) In any case, thanks again for the help.

David

  http://www.fastmail.fm/docs/quotes.html