Re: Problem using libcurl with Visual Studio

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 08:20:48 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003, Dylan Ellicott wrote:

> We have a similar problem, I have run the same libcurl code on Windows,
> Linux, Solaris, HP-UX, and AIX, also I have run memory tools on Linux
> (valgrind) which only reports problems with the getaddrinfo calls in libcurl
> (Seems like an os issue).

I've seen that valgrind warning too, and I made my valgrind ignore that
particular one as it isn't a problem in libcurl.

> All the platforms except for Windows appear to run correctly, but when I try
> to upload a program on Windows using curl-7.0.7 or curl-7.0.6 it errors out
> after an unspecified amount of data has been sent. I am calling curl from
> C++ code, and I catch the access violation using a catch ... and therefor
> recover from the problem, but the result is that I cannont upload files on
> Windows.

Argh. But if you have this much control, can't you figure out where in the
(libcurl) code it crashes?

> We compile using Visual Studio .net, and are using the multi interface. I
> have tried to trim down the code to something that I could post, however
> have not been able to produce the same results with code that would be worth
> posting to this list. (when the problem occurs libcurl is compiled into a
> dll with our code and is driven by another program. When I get curl outside
> of that model I cannot seem to reproduce the problem.

It sure makes things trickier of course. Have you tried using a 7.10.8
pre-release just to see if the problem remains in there? We have fixed one or
two bugs in the multi interface since 7.10.7, but I'm not sure if any of them
could cause the kind of problem you desrcibe.

> If you would like more information I can provide it. The crash appears to
> happen in curl_multi_perform() but outside of the ReadCallback

Yes please, if you can provide more info on the crash, like exact source line
and possibly contents of the relevant local variables, then I could do a
little research on the problem from my end.