Re: unhappiness and sorrow with 7.10.4.pre4 on UX 11.11

From: Rick Jones <rick_jones2_at_hp.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 10:15:34 -0800

> I've produced another configure-attempt, that I hope works better.
> I've commited the configure.in to CVS and I've made the generated
> script available for download from here:
>
> http://curl.haxx.se/beta/configure-1.128
>
> This is supposed to have an improved deeper-check.

this configure worked to completion and allowed a compile under HP-UX
11.11. I decided to go through a pick some additional nits. I've no
idea if they are important or not:

 checking for "/dev/urandom"... no^M

There is now /dev/random support from HP for 11.11 and later, but I've
not got that installed on this system. It is available from
software.hp.com. I'm not sure if I'll get a chance soon to download and
install that but thought I'd bring it up in case other UX users have the
cycles.

io.h

 checking for io.h... no^M

$ find /usr/include -name io.h
/usr/include/sys/io.h

lib503.c has the include of <sys/time.h> but still gets parm warnings
for the select call at line 69:

        cc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I../../include/curl -I../../lib -g -c
`test -f
'lib503.c' || echo './'`lib503.c^M
cc: "lib503.c", line 69: warning 604: Pointers are not
assignment-compatible.^M
cc: "lib503.c", line 69: warning 563: Argument #2 is not the correct
type.^M
cc: "lib503.c", line 69: warning 604: Pointers are not
assignment-compatible.^M
cc: "lib503.c", line 69: warning 563: Argument #3 is not the correct
type.^M
cc: "lib503.c", line 69: warning 604: Pointers are not
assignment-compatible.^M
cc: "lib503.c", line 69: warning 563: Argument #4 is not the correct
type.^M

Looking at <sys/time.h> it appears that unless the
_XOPEN_SOURCE_EXTENDED is set, that the pointers to the biytmasks are
defined as int*

Ditto for lib504.

If I go CFLAGS="-D_XOPEN_SROUCE_EXTENDED" the warnings go away - of
course, the missing include to get htons from sws.c is still there in
pre4, I've not grabbed/checked CVS. The fix I use is:

#include <netinet/in.h>
#ifdef _XOPEN_SOURCE_EXTENDED
# include <arpa/inet.h>
#endif
#include <netdb.h>

and then all is well with no compilation warnings at all (not even the
sendfile stuff)

configure/compile with XOPEN and +DD64 (to get 64-bit) is also clean.

rick

feel free to post, OR email to raj in cup.hp.com  but NOT BOTH...