Re: Returning redirection URLs (was: SSL problem + request for enhancement)

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 16:34:44 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 27 Jan 2003, kayseri wrote:

> I am still none the wiser to what you think on this issue, though.

Basicly I told you my thoughts, they are not crystal clear. I was more going
for some kind of dicsussion around different concepts in order to work out
the best solution for most people.

> 1) The info could be sent to the DEBUGFUNCTION along with other debug info,
> so that the user has control over where the redirections take him/her.
>
> 2) The info could be requested at the end of the transfer through a special
> curl_easy_getinfo() option.
>
> We have also agreed that (1) is easier to implement in libcurl than (2).

Yeah, but it would also change how it works today and add general confusion I
guess.

> What we have to decide is which is more useful and user-friendly. Maybe we
> need to hear from other libcurl developer on this issue.

I would indeed welcome some more voices regarding this, but I won't hold my
breath for it. I'm quite used to silence as input.

> BTW, I guess this is a generic problem for exposing info not currently
> exposed by libcurl. If we find a generic solution then it would be easier
> for the future to expose other info. Looking at the "curl_infotype" used in
> the DEBUGFUNCTION, I don't think this function was designed to support
> returning such info. Thinking along these lines maybe we can add (I know I
> will be crucified) another callback function that returns such info during
> the transfer. Also would be present extra setopt options to turn on and off
> certain types of info.

Well, if we play with the idea of adding another callback for it, what would
it provide? An 'info-type' (GETTING_THIS_URL for this case) and a 'void
*data' (pointing to the full URL libcurl is about to fetch?) that could
provide various types of informations at various points in the libcurl
execution?

Such a callback could also possibly be used by sending "progress-info" at
various stages in a transfer to allow UI-based programs to get to know how
far a particular transfer has reached in its progress etc.