Re: SSL problem + request for enhancement

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 20:20:30 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 22 Jan 2003, Ufuk Kayserilioglu wrote:

> 1) The first HTTPS connection after our program has launched takes an
> inordinately long amount of time. After that the following HTTPS
> connections are fine. I think I have traced this to the point where curl
> makes OpenSSL seed the PSNG (ssluse.c / random_the_seed). When I went into
> that code I realized that the methods utilized by OpenSSL to do so included
> walking the heap using that data. However, the program that uses libcurl is
> quite a big one with a huge heap. Thus, I think the problem lies there. I
> tried to seed curl with a random data file I generate using the MS
> CryptoAPI at the start of the program but then curl calls seed_enough()
> which calls RAND_status() which still goes and walks over the heap. Can you
> offer me any advice on how I can resolve this issue?

Sorry, I'm trying the best I can to follow the APIs provided by OpenSSL to do
SSL connections work. AFAIK, the use of RAND_status() is the recommended
practise.

You can of course try to undef the HAVE_RAND_STATUS and see if that makes it
any faster for you. I can't guarantee that it is just as safe though.

> 2) Again for the same project, we would like to be able to be informed of
> the urls that curl visits as it does followlocation. This can be retrieved
> at the end of the fetch through curl_easy_getinfo(). I am willing to supply
> the code if you push me in the direction of where I should look and how I
> should do it.

Oh, well, we would need to first come up with a good way to provide this
information.

We could possibly extend the DEBUGFUNCTION callback to pass along
informational data such as this... Please, share your thoughts on this with
us!

> BTW: All these apply to curl on Win32.

I think they seem to apply find on generic libcurl too.