SSL problem + request for enhancement

From: Ufuk Kayserilioglu <groups_at_paralaus.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 00:07:29 +0200

Hi there,

On the project that I am working we are utilizing the cURL library and so
far we are ecstatic with it. However I need to resolve a few issues:

1) The first HTTPS connection after our program has launched takes an
inordinately long amount of time. After that the following HTTPS connections
are fine. I think I have traced this to the point where curl makes OpenSSL
seed the PSNG (ssluse.c / random_the_seed). When I went into that code I
realized that the methods utilized by OpenSSL to do so included walking the
heap using that data. However, the program that uses libcurl is quite a big
one with a huge heap. Thus, I think the problem lies there. I tried to seed
curl with a random data file I generate using the MS CryptoAPI at the start
of the program but then curl calls seed_enough() which calls RAND_status()
which still goes and walks over the heap. Can you offer me any advice on how
I can resolve this issue?

2) Again for the same project, we would like to be able to be informed of
the urls that curl visits as it does followlocation. This can be retrieved
at the end of the fetch through curl_easy_getinfo(). I am willing to supply
the code if you push me in the direction of where I should look and how I
should do it.

BTW: All these apply to curl on Win32.

Thanks for the great work,

Ufuk