Re: OT: grep options [Was: Re: Segmentation fault in curl_easy_cleanup() [AIX]]

From: Tor Arntsen <tor_at_spacetec.no>
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2002 16:43:52 +0100

On Nov 1, 16:36, cml932atom_at_sulusea.org wrote:
>On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 06:55:32PM -0700, Soren Spies wrote:
>>
>> nice; does the 'grep' on your system support -A, -B, or -C (which
>> provide context after, before, and around, respectively)?
>
>As with all things compared to GNU, IBM/AIX grep is inferior.
>
>$ grep -h
>Usage: grep [-E|-F] [-c|-l|-q] [-insvxbhwy] [-p[parasep]] -e pattern_list...
[...]

Very true. But these days AIX at least comes with a companion CD called

"AIX Toolbox for Linux Applications for POWER Systems
 Featuring GNU Software"

It helps a lot to install it. Nice penguin on the label too.
You can find all the .rpm's (and installp on at least AIX 5.x understands
.rpms now) on ftp.software.ibm.com
Put /opt/freeware/bin in the PATH.

We tell our AIX customers to install this CD, and they seem happy to
comply :-)

-Tor