can't get HTTPS pages using php libcurl

From: marcos <unfalse_at_mediaone.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2001 14:07:15 -0400

I read the previous posts on retrieving https pages, and how to configure it, yet I still have problems.

I can get https requests using the command line NO Problem. But within PHP, libcurl still returns NO DATA meaning no headers, nothing (even when I set $ch,CURLOPT_HEADER,1 & $ch,CURLOPT_RETURNTRANSFER,1 . I used verbose mode, and many other ways to receive something. my response is always blank.

Do I need to worry about SSL certificates? Or is the reason why I do not recieve data because of how OpenSSL is configured on my server? It is confusing to me because curl_version() outputs: libcurl 7.8.1 (OpenSSL 0.9.6)
Any help is apreciated!

-happy coding,
Marcos