curl-and-php

Re: help me explain PHP/CURL

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 11:51:03 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 4 Nov 2005, Michael Wallner wrote:

> I think the docs are pretty much clear as they are now, and pretty good if
> one keeps in mind that it was the work of volunteers.

> PS: I encourage everyone feeling unhappy about documentation sections
> to file bug reports/feature request on the manual at any time!

Yes, I realize all this. And as I wrote before, I don't count on nor expect
the PHP site to get updated in this area. Don't take this personal, as I'm
certainly not pointing finger at any single individual here.

So I've decided to run my own race and have the docs on the curl site clearer
and more detailed and more suitable to the every day PHP/CURL user as I don't
have the energy to run around and try to get the PHP team change their view on
the PHP/CURL module or what the documentation of it should be like.

I've now updated the "root" PHP/CURL page:

   http://curl.haxx.se/libcurl/php/

... to contain a little speed comparison and I found a web forum I link to,
but perhaps most importantly I updated the install page and especially the
new Windows part of it:

   http://curl.haxx.se/libcurl/php/install.html

Anything particular I've forgotten or should address differently?

If there are anyone reading this who is interested in improving the
php.net/curl info to produce a different version, possibly with direct links
to options and their docs etc, then please speak up. I wouldn't mind sucking
it over to the curl site and produce something that is more focused on the
PHP/CURL module only, but I don't think I'm up to doing it all by myself...