curl-and-php

Re: help me explain PHP/CURL

From: Michael Wallner <mike_at_iworks.at>
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 11:21:32 +0100

Hi Daniel Stenberg, you wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Nov 2005, Michael Wallner wrote:
>
>> This paragraph will read in future manuals as follows:
>>
>> In order to use PHP's CURL functions you need to install the
>> libcurl package. PHP requires that you use libcurl 7.0.2-beta
>> or higher. In PHP 4.2.3, you will need libcurl version 7.9.0 or
>> higher. From PHP 4.3.0, you will need a libcurl version that's
>> 7.9.8 or higher. PHP 5.0.0 requires a libcurl version 7.10.5 or
>> greater.
>

> While we're on the topic, I'll continue:

Uhm... I was afraid that I'd open a can of worms there... ;)

> I think this huge blob is far too big and too technical to have on the
> overview "front" page. All those specific version requirements can be
> put on a page/section with more specific build requirements as most
> users won't care or need to know the specifics.
>
> I would prefer that paragraph to say:
>
> In order to use the PHP/CURL functions you need to have libcurl
> installed.
>
> I use "PHP/CURL" here since I want the PHP/CURL binding to have a name
> that is not "CURL" as curl is already a command line tool and cURL is
> the project making it. "too many meanings for the same word error"
>
> It wouldn't necessary have to be exactly PHP/CURL I just prefer if it
> isn't "CURL".
>
> The paragraph could also possibly mention that the binary package of PHP
> for windows _includes_ the necessary libcurl DLL so all the user needs
> to do is to enabled it by [go to page that describes it].

Daniel, I think nobody of us has time to maintain the curl docs
for php, I for myself am still in need to write a quite big docbook
reference for my own extension, and I'm certainly not changing
$LIB to PHP/$LIB for the whole php manual. I think the docs are
pretty much clear as they are now, and pretty good if one keeps in
mind that it was the work of volunteers. I know there may be much
room for improvement, but that said, there's also enough room for
volunteers to apply for a CVS account and make it even better.
I'm sorry, but I don't have that much fun writing XML compared to
wrintin PHP or C code ;)

PS: I encourage everyone feeling unhappy about documentation sections
    to file bug reports/feature request on the manual at any time!

Best regards,

--
Michael - <mike(@)php.net> http://dev.iworks.at/ext-http/http-functions.html.gz