Re: Bugfixes vs releases

From: Daniel Stenberg via curl-users <curl-users_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2019 09:30:45 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 16 Dec 2019, Dan Fandrich via curl-users wrote:

> The page https://curl.haxx.se/docs/releases.html lists Bugfixes and Changes for
> every curl release. Since a bug fix is a change, but not all changes are bug
> fixes, I would expect that Changes will always be at least as large as
> Bugfixes, but that's not the case. Are the two column headings swapped? But
> even that doesn't quite make sense because, for example, 7.65.3 fixed one bug
> and had (depending on how you count them) 1–5 changes but the table says 1
> Bugfix and 0 Changes.

It is probably not entirely obvious, no. This is how I work with/define them:

First, the release table there gets the changes vs bugfixes numbers from the
changelog page [1]. That's the source (actually, the source for that [2] web
page is the source). The changelog page gets prepended with new information at
release time for every new release, from the RELEASE-NOTES at the time of that
release.

In the RELEASE-NOTES (that I "sync" every few days or once a week or so) I
separate "changes" from "bugfixes" so that something that is committed to the
curl source code repository is counted as either kind. A "change" is something
that changes or adds functionality while basically everything else are
"bugfixes".

Following this logic, a typical release will have many more bugfixes than
changes.

> A tooltip over those column headings explaining them would be welcome.

Right, if we think we can explain the terms short and snappy enough for them
to work well in a tool tip. Otherwise maybe link to a separate page explaining
them something like I've done here...

  [1] = https://curl.haxx.se/changes.html
  [2] = https://github.com/curl/curl-www/blob/master/_changes.html

--
  / daniel.haxx.se | Get the best commercial curl support there is - from me