Re: curl m3u8 files (IPTV over curl socks proxy)

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2015 09:39:36 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 21 Oct 2015, GNUser wrote:

Please note that we do not top-post on this mailing list. We try to first show
the relevant quotes and then insert our comments below.

> Well, yes I suppose m3u8 are list files. BUT vlc and mplayer play them
> as multimedia.

vlc and mplayer are video players. curl is a data transfer tool. They serve
completely different purposes and thus they work quite differently. Most
importantly, curl doesn't parse the contents it downloads. It'll just get what
you ask it to get and nothing more.

If that m3u8 file contains things you want to download, then you need to
extract that and ask curl to get those URLs one by one.

> So, I suppose they are possible to "read" in a way that we would download a
> video file (like streaming). Can curl do it?

If those file files are available using one of the protocols curl supports
then yes.

> Another option I have is rtmp links. Apparently curl supports those but not
> always... in fact most of the rtmp links I throw at it it fails to download
> (as in it will just stand there, counting seconds and not even creating any
> traffic).

That sounds like a potential bug somewhere. RTMP is not one of the most
frequently used protocols in curl land...