Re: Raw protocol? Would like to use curl for ssh ProxyCommand

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2013 08:35:56 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 4 Jun 2013, Nico Williams wrote:

>> (I'm using curl 7.22.0, but I've been browsing the master branch and I
>> see nothing new about this.)
>
> I've also tried master.
>
> The program I'm trying to use sets all of

Now you're talking libcurl and then I recommend using the curl-library list
instead to reach the library hackers.

> then we call curl_easy_perform(), hoping to
> curl_easy_getinfo(CURLINFO_LASTSOCKET) so we can select on it. This is
> probably the wrong thing to do,

If all you want is to connect and then extract the socket, that is the (only)
way to do it with libcurl. I'm not very fond of the connect_only feature
tough, I think it extends libcurl a little too much into territories where it
doesn't really belong...

> if nothing else because if I were using TLS to secure the connection to the
> proxy I'd want more than the socket...

Perhaps, but libcurl also provides more than just the socket.

> I suspect the right thing to do is to add a protocol handler for "raw".

I don't think that is necessarily the correct way forward. I think you
primarily get into problems with this because CONNECT_ONLY isn't documented
properly so you don't exactly understand the protocol's part in that scenario,
and then as a secondary thing I suspect that it isn't too unlikely that we
have bugs in there. Especially when used in combination with less frequently
used authentication algorithms.

And again, please take libcurl stuff to curl-library.