Re: Metalink support patch for curl

From: Tatsuhiro Tsujikawa <tatsuhiro.t_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2012 17:16:59 +0900

On Sat, Jun 23, 2012 at 3:38 AM, Yang Tse <yangsita_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Tatsuhiro Tsujikawa <tatsuhiro.t_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> The attached patch 0001 ignores --include option if --metalink is used together.
>> I agree that including headers in response is pointless if --metalink
>> is used, because it confuses XML parser (if metalink file is
>> downloaded from http server) and/or hash check will fail as test2010
>> revealed.
>>
>> The patch 0002 enables test2010 as it is working now.
>> I fixed hash value because it seemed wrong.
>
> Great, pushing as I write these lines.

Thanks!

I updated curl man page to document that --include will be ignored
when used with --metalink and also about FILE protocol and local
Metalink file in man page.
Patch attached.

>> (Patched your sentences as your last e-mail)
>>> And there's something else to ponder. Should option '--dump-header'
>>> (-D) work as it is doing right now along with '--metalink' option, or
>>> should we make sure that no HTTP headers are dumped nor
>>> dump-header file is created when both options are used?
>>>
>>> If --metalink along with --dump-header is 'fixed', metalink test case
>>> definitions will also need fixing.
>>
>> I feel current behavior is probably OK because it does not break Metalink
>> processing and dumping header of downloading remote file is make sense
>> to me even in metalink file.
>
> I agree, it is useful to keep it around as long as it doesn't
> represent a problem.
>
> While generating test case 2012 (XML file without hash) I've realized
> that most likely it would be convenient to further standardise
> Metalink messages to further help automatic parsing of these.
>
> I have not fully thought about what a proper format would be, nor all
> required uses, I'll try to suggest something next week, unless someone
> beats me at it.
>
> Meanwhile I'm pushing 2012 disabled.

Agreed that some messages are helpful to notify user that hash check
is not done. I'll wait for your suggestions.

Best regards,

Tatsuhiro Tsujikawa