RE: Sending a file using FTPES

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 00:17:57 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 18 Jul 2011, SMITH Mick wrote:

> > Do you really want to do FTPS upload over a HTTP proxy?

You never answered to this question.

> The single dashes were actually just mistyped in my email so no problems
> with that specifically. You can see from the log below that a connection is
> made to the host but I get the error "(52) Empty reply from server". Do you
> have any idea what this could mean?

That error means that curl sent a HTTP request but got exactly nothing back.
In HTTP lingo, not returning anything is an error.

> To explain a bit further, I want to use FTPES because that's the only
> transfer that the destination will accept.

Is that FTP over SSL you're talking about, otherwise known as FTPS?

> I believe I need to use the proxy to make any connection through my
> company's firewall. I gather this doesn't sound right to you?

Sure it can be done. But if you want to speak FTPS using a HTTP proxy, you
need to "tunnel through" it and that means your proxy must allow CONNECT to
the remote port number (usually port 21) which most proxies don't.

If you don't tunnel through it, your proxy must support FTPS URLs, which I'm
not aware of anypproxy that does.