Re: Storing the URL in extended attributes of the downloaded file

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 10:15:53 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 18 Oct 2010, Daniel Stenberg wrote:

> o I never use extended attributes myself. Is 'user.curl.origin' something
> everyone is likely to be happy with or should we allow it to be changable?

BTW, I thought of two other things:

1 - I noticed your patch sent to the wget team for this same feature. Wouldn't
it make sense to use the same name for the URL no matter which tool that
downloaded it? It would make it easier for scripts/tools to extract the info.

2 - Using extended attributes is a fancy way to store meta data about a
downloaded file. Wouldn't it make sense to just call the option '--xattr' or
similar to keep the ability open that more meta data than just the URL will
get stored eventually?