Re: How can I get Directory listing with HTTP

From: Kamil Dudka <kdudka_at_redhat.com>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 10:47:56 +0200

On Tue May 18 2010 10:01:10 Avinash wrote:
> Basically my requirement is to get the metadata of file pointed by HTTP URL
> and not the actual file.
>
> e.g if my URL is
>
> http://172.20.241.206/HTTP_Share/performance_data/mixed/pdf/6.pdf
>
> Then I do not want to download the file 6.pdf, but the metadata of 6.pdf
> like its size, access time, modification time etc.
>
> Is there any way to get all this meta-information without actually
> downloading it ?

I don't think you understand. The HTTP protocol doesn't know anything about
'file', 'atime' and 'mtime'. Under some circumstance you may know the size
of file from the HTTP header, but it is not guaranteed either. You should
realize that the thing you call file, doesn't even need to exist on the
server's file system. It can be e.g. generated on-the-fly by a script on
the remote site.

Kamil