Re: curl: Argument list too long

From: Sergei Steshenko <sergstesh_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2009 22:05:52 -0800 (PST)

--- On Thu, 12/3/09, Harry <lolwutaf2_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> From: Harry <lolwutaf2_at_gmail.com>
> Subject: curl: Argument list too long
> To: curl-users_at_cool.haxx.se
> Date: Thursday, December 3, 2009, 9:23 PM
> Hi, I am trying to get cURL to upload
> an image scrotted onto a PHP file uploader.
>
> Here is my code so far, if you can help me, I'd be glad.
>

> #!/bin/bash
> scrot screenshot.png
> curl -v -A "scrotty-v1" "http://harryy.us/upload/index.php" --max-time '60'
> --max-filesize '5000000' -F "mailfile=`cat screenshot.png`"
>
> At the moment, I get "curl: Argument list too long".
>

> Thank you in advance.

The

"mailfile=`cat screenshot.png`"

part looks strange to me. This is because

cat screenshot.png

is executed, and then its stdout is placed into the double quoted string,
the whole

"mailfile=`cat screenshot.png`"

is 'mailfile=' plus contents of 'screenshot.png' file, And I think this is
what makes your command too line long.

OTOH, you command line doesn't make sense to because of the above in the first place.

Did you mean regular single quotes ("'") and not the backquotes ("`") ?

Thanks,
  Sergei.