RE: timeout waiting for server status after 100-continue

From: Kittel, John <John.Kittel_at_kaisertwd.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 09:21:34 -0700

On Monday, August 24, 2009 1:47 AM Daniel Stenberg wrote:

> That's a very old version!

Thanks so much for your reply.

I'm running in a business environment and I must restrict myself to
versions of open source software redistributed and blessed by my O.S.
vendor. Since the O.S. is itself a little old and can't be upgraded any
time soon for logistical reasons I'm kind of stuck on an older version
of curl. I CAN get up to 7.17.1 relatively easily, but haven't done so
yet. Then 7.17.1 will be as new as I can get for the foreseeable future.

> I don't think this is a problem with curl, I think this is your server
> that closes the connection. curl has no such timeout waiting for the
> response code. If you don't specify a timeout, curl will wait more or
> less forever on that response. Of course, wiresharking the network
> tells if this is triggered by a server-side close or not.

I don't have control of the server; it's an outside company's site. If
it is the fault of the server, this is (relatively) good (for me) - I
can ask them to fix their side. But first I want to know for sure.

I don't have wireshark installed and am not familiar with its use. Would
tcpdump be adequate? Although I'm not sure I'd be knowledgeable enough
to make the determination myself whether it is the server that is
closing the connection. I have never needed to do much in the way of
network / protocol analysis.

As I mentioned, I did use --trace on my curl command. If you don't mind,
can you tell from my trace output shown below whether it is the server
dropping the connection?

Relevant part/ end of trace output:

2660: 39 0a 9.
10:42:29.192279 => Send data, 48 bytes (0x30)
0000: 0d 0a 2d 2d 2d 2d 2d 2d 2d 2d 2d 2d 2d 2d 2d 2d ..--------------
0010: 2d 2d 2d 2d 2d 2d 2d 2d 2d 2d 2d 2d 2d 2d 2d 2d ----------------
0020: 33 30 63 35 61 37 39 31 32 63 62 35 2d 2d 0d 0a 30c5a7912cb5--..
10:42:29.410950 <= Recv header, 23 bytes (0x17)
0000: 48 54 54 50 2f 31 2e 31 20 31 30 30 20 43 6f 6e HTTP/1.1 100 Con
0010: 74 69 6e 75 65 0d 0a tinue..
10:43:32.218232 == Info: Empty reply from server
10:43:32.218353 == Info: Connection #0 to host xxx.xxxxxxx.xxx left
intact
10:43:32.219366 == Info: Closing connection #0
10:43:32.219728 == Info: SSLv3, TLS alert, Client hello (1):
10:43:32.219772 <= Send SSL data, 2 bytes (0x2)
0000: 01 00 ..

 - John

Notice - Privileged, Confidential and/or Proprietary Material

This message and any attachment(s) to it are intended for the personal use of the person to whom it is addressed, only. The message and its attachment(s) may contain privileged, confidential, proprietary and otherwise sensitive information. If you have received this message in error and are not an intended addressee, you are advised that any further dissemination, copying, publication or distribution is prohibited. If you believe you have received this message in error please contact the sender and delete this message permanently from your system(s). No waiver of confidentiality or privilege is intended by inadvertent submission to an unintended recipient.

This message and any attachment(s) have been scanned for viruses.
(KA-OM-1)