Re: libcurl and rtorrent

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 23:35:00 +0100 (CET)

On Sun, 25 Jan 2009, Brandon Blackmoor wrote:

> Unless I have a compelling reason not to, I use yum to manage installed
> packages. From examining the version of libcurl currently installed, there
> appear to be a great many other packages which depend on libcurl. Am I
> mistaken in thinking that manually upgrading my version of curl & libcurl
> would entail manually updating all of these dependent packages, as well?

It depends, but yes you should be able to!

Since we haven't modified the ABI since 7.18.2 you can just build your own
libcurl from source, install it and make everything use that one instead. I
would probably advice to install it somewhere separate (i.e not replace the
currently installed files) and then edit /etc/ld.so.conf to make sure the new
one gets found and used before the older installation. Installing it in a
separate path also makes it easy for you to update it again later on or just
remove it when Fedora catches up with us.

But this of course requires that you build the new libcurl version with a very
similar setup/config as the existing one has or you may get some trouble.