RE: Need help with SFTP

From: Starbuck <1xrdqj102_at_sneakemail.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 15:28:16 -0700

>Starbuck wrote and Daniel responded:
> > I understand the doc
> > isn't just for people who get the binaries which are
> > generously provided by developers - but why is there
> > any hesitation to add a comment about this into the
> > docs?
>
> Because of the simple reason that curl can be built
> with just about every feature enabled or disabled and
> it would make a lot of extra info to try to cram into
> the existing docs.
>
> But if you have any suggestions on how we can improve
> this, please bring your changes!

Sure, I humbly request a new FAQ item, since this does appear to
be a FAQ:
=====
Usage Problems:
Q: Why doesn't SFTP work?
A: SFTP (FTP over SSH) requires LibSSH2, and due to licensing
requirements this library is not provided in binary bundles.
Search the curl-list archives for information about compiling
cURL from source to create your own SFTP-enabled packages.
=====

I hope that's concise enough and accurate. If this isn't due to
licensing then: "SFTP (FTP over SSH) requires LibSSH2, which is
not provided in binary bundles."

> > I tried and failed to build LibSSH2 from source with
> > VS2005, noting release differences and removing zLib,
> > etc.
>
> Having trouble to build libssh2 (on any operating system) is
> of course hardly curl's fault...

No fault implied. I was just stating that I did try to do my
part but failed in the attempt. If someone can work with me
off-list to get a good compilation of the required packages, I'll
writeup the experience for the Stuff to Read page, and assuming
the licensing allows it I'll publish the resulting SFTP-enabled
v7.19.0.

Thanks again.