RE: Need help with SFTP

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 21:28:10 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 24 Oct 2008, Starbuck wrote:

> Long story short, I understand that even though the documentation says cURL
> supports SFTP, full support isn't in the binaries and we need to build from
> source if we want it. I'm not the first to say the doc doesn't say anything
> about this and I'm also not the first person to waste many hours hunting
> down the facts after we try to use a documented feature that isn't compiled
> into the binary. I understand the doc isn't just for people who get the
> binaries which are generously provided by developers - but why is there any
> hesitation to add a comment about this into the docs?

Because of the simple reason that curl can be built with just about every
feature enabled or disabled and it would make a lot of extra info to try to
cram into the existing docs.

But if you have any suggestions on how we can improve this, please bring your
changes!

> I tried and failed to build LibSSH2 from source with VS2005, noting release
> differences and removing zLib, etc.

Having trouble to build libssh2 (on any operating system) is of course hardly
curl's fault...