RE: Need help with SFTP

From: Starbuck <1xrdqj102_at_sneakemail.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 02:40:37 -0700

When using sftp:// the result is:
(1) Protocol sftp not supported or disabled in libcurl

Long story short, I understand that even though the documentation
says cURL supports SFTP, full support isn't in the binaries and
we need to build from source if we want it. I'm not the first to
say the doc doesn't say anything about this and I'm also not the
first person to waste many hours hunting down the facts after we
try to use a documented feature that isn't compiled into the
binary. I understand the doc isn't just for people who get the
binaries which are generously provided by developers - but why is
there any hesitation to add a comment about this into the docs?

OK, to earn my solution, I did some research and found this
thread:
http://curl.haxx.se/mail/lib-2008-04/0132.html
and that describes the effort of another developer who spent two
days messing with this.

I tried following his lead but I'm not a qualified C developer.
I have the cURL source 7.19.0, OpenSSL 0.9.8i, and LibSSH2
2.0.18. I tried and failed to build LibSSH2 from source with
VS2005, noting release differences and removing zLib, etc. I'm
willing to build from makefiles but I'd really like to avoid
having to get MingW32 (and ActiveState Perl for OpenSSL).

In the past I tried and failed to build OpenSSL. I've built
other C packages but when I fail I'm sure it's because of
something simple that you guys would recognize. If someone can
work with me in this thread to build all of this, I will gladly
document it for others. I'm really looking to learn how to fish,
not for people to give me fish. But without some guidance I need
to wimp out, give up on cURL, and use a binary from somewhere
else.

Thanks.