Re: BUG - Build fails at gethostbyname() check

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2008 21:52:59 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 5 Jun 2008, Michael James wrote:

Thanks for report!

> This is a bug introduced in the 7.18.2 build, everything worked fine
> in 7.18.1 and earlier.

I take it you mean on Windows using MSYS? Any particular Windows version?

> HAVE_WINSOCK2_H is configured after gethostbyname is configured.

Is it really? The way I read configure.ac, winsock2.h is checked for at line
227, while gethostbyname starts to get checked for at line 467. What am I
missing?

> I will also use this space to complain that I now have to explicitly pass
> winsock_LIB=ws2_32 on the configure command line to even get it to attempt
> this test.

"this test" being the gethostbyname one you mean? That doesn't look correct to
me either. There's no such conditional in configure.ac to at least do parts of
the gethostbyname check unregarding to what you set winsock_LIB to. I guess I
just don't understand your remark here.

Can you please provide configure outputs or possibly config.log snippests to
clarify your statements with?

> P.S. I tried to submit this directly to the bug database, but it
> persistently claims that I am not logged in, despite multiple "successful"
> logins.

I'm afraid we "just" use the sourceforge hosting service for the bug tracker
so such problems are hard for us to fix. But they host many many thousands of
projects and have hundreds of thousands of users so if it really is a problem
on their site I trust they should fix it shortly if you report it to them!