BUG - Build fails at gethostbyname() check

From: Michael James <james.me_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2008 12:00:01 -0700

This is a bug introduced in the 7.18.2 build, everything worked fine
in 7.18.1 and earlier.

The build now fails claiming that it can not find gethostbyname() in
any libraries. I traced this problem a bit and found out the cause:

HAVE_WINSOCK2_H is configured after gethostbyname is configured. The
configure script is unable to find gethostbyname because it
conditionally checks HAVE_WINSOCK2_H in the winsock test. The
configure script will not even think about declaring HAVE_WINSOCK2_H
until after the gethostbyname checks are finished.

I will also use this space to complain that I now have to explicitly
pass winsock_LIB=ws2_32 on the configure command line to even get it
to attempt this test.

Kind regards,
Michael James

P.S. I tried to submit this directly to the bug database, but it
persistently claims that I am not logged in, despite multiple
"successful" logins.