Re: metalink support

From: Anthony Bryan <anthonybryan_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 03:44:57 -0400

> >> Adding metalink support to the curl tool however, seems like a very good
> >> idea to me...
> >
> > I would love to see curl with metalink support. I'm certain that the added
> > attention of the curl community could only improve metalink.
> >
> > Please let me know if there's anything I can do to make this happen.
> >
> > The metalink docs are at http://www.metalinker.org/implementation.html#spec
>
> We basically need someone to step forward and start working on actually
> _implementing_ it. Unfortunately it will require some rather big changes in
> the code, which probably scares away most people.
>
> This is not a particularly scratchy itch on my own back so I don't see myself
> diving into this task within the nearest future.

Tatsuhiro Tsujikawa is writing a small metalink parser in C, to be
used by wget.

Could this be used for curl as well?

Micah Cowan, wget's maintainer said "Of course, curl and Wget would
also require interfacing code to _use_ the parser, as well as to fall
back to the alternatives when one of them fails."

--
(( Anthony Bryan ... Metalink [ http://www.metalinker.org ]
 )) Easier, More Reliable, Self Healing Downloads