Re: This site has me somewhat confused

From: Dan Fandrich <dan_at_coneharvesters.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 11:00:56 -0800

On Wed, Nov 28, 2007 at 01:05:53PM -0500, Maury Markowitz wrote:
> I can't find this anywhere in the documentation, so I'm not at all
> sure where I am at this point. Trying to traverse the remote directory
> structure gives me 550's and such, so I assume I am actually connected
> and curl is simply exiting because there's nothing to do. I _believe_
> I am operational.

The option "--ftp-method singlecwd" might get around that problem.

> Ok, one last question about this... since I am not stating that I want
> to use sftp, which curl claims not to support in my version, is the

Don't confuse SFTP with FTPS.

> encryption ever turned on? Is --ftp-ssl--ccc also turning encryption
> on during the login, as a side-effect? The manual is by no means clear

--ftp-ssl-ccc doesn't affect the connection before login; it only takes
effect after login.

> on this, and when I try things like --ftp-ssl-reqd then I immediately
> get errors about the certificate.
>
> I have a feeling that SFTP != FTP with CCC. I'll keep reading...

SFTP has nothing to do with FTP. What you're talking about here is FTPS,
which is FTP over SSL/TLS. CCC basically turns off the encryption and
turns an FTPS connection back into a basic unencrypted FTP connection to
help it traverse through firewalls.

>>> Dan