Re: Mac OSX install report 7.14.1

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 21:52:06 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005, Doug McNutt wrote:

> Perhaps the directory name ought to be changed to /mac_classic/ or dropped
> altogether.

I know that it still worked only a few versions ago when a friend of mine
build curl for Mac OS 9 so I don't think there's any reason to drop it. And
even if it doesn't work 100% now, it is still the best shot for anyone who'd
like to build curl for Mac OS 9.

We don't drop support of Operating Systems just because they're old. Thus we
still support AmigaOS, win32, DOS, BeOS, VMS, Mac OS 9 and more...

> make test came up with these errors. I think none of them is real in the
> sense that they are caused by missing support items in MacOS 10.3.9.

> TESTFAIL: These test cases failed: 518

This is the only serious fault and this is a known flaw in Mac OS X so this
test is actually expected to fail.

This happens because libcurl can't use poll() (since the Mac implementation is
broken) but is instead forced to use select() and thus it breaks if more than
FD_SETSIZE file descriptors are used by the app.