Curl behavioral problem

From: Graeme Grundill <ipogster_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 20:10:18 +1000

Hello all,

As a recent subscriber i will attempt to make my post as clear as
possible.

My operating system is Mac OS X and I am using an applescript i
found on MacScripter.net < http://bbs.applescript.net/viewtopic.php?
id=13857 > to report my IP Address and insert it into a mail message
so that i can determine the address of a given box once it boots up.
It worked a treat for a few days but then mysteriously stopped
reporting the IP address and just posted an empty mail message.

After a bit of sleuthing i determined that curl 7.13.1 was the
culprit as it seems to be looking at my loopback address rather than
the URL it is given to perform on.

Output as follows:

$curl -v http://checkip.dyndns.org
About to connect() to 127.0.0.1 port 1080
Trying 127.0.0.1... * Connection refused
couldn't connect to host
Closing connection #0

Why has it started behaving in this fashion? If it had done it from
the outset i could understand but this has got me head scratching.

I thought maybe as i was running Privoxy it was trying to go via the
proxy but even if it's disabled curl returns the above message.

If anyone could set me straight on this i'd be appreciative.

As a matter of interest i installed the same script on my dad's
computer and it has displayed the same behaviour ie was working ok
and now not. both machines are regularly updated with software
updates and patches which leads me to think there could be an issue
with curl configuration files ?

Thanks Graeme G

*Burn Fat Not Oil*