Re: Getting curl to cross compile with SSL

From: Anirudh <anirudhvr_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2005 14:15:18 -0400

On 9/2/05, Dan Fandrich <dan_at_coneharvesters.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 02, 2005 at 06:59:57PM -0400, Anirudh V. Ramachandran wrote:
> > I need to get curl to cross-compile on an ipaq handheld PC with SSL
> > enabled. The ipaq is running Familiar Linux, but the distribution of
> > curl available for Familiar doesnt have SSL. How do I get it to
> > compile with SSL for the target machine (arm architecture). My host
>
> See the docs/INSTALL document.
>
> > machine has ssl libraries in /lib. However, I tried the
> > --with-ssl=/lib during configure, but it didnt work. Is this because
> > the libraries are for the host architecture? So do I have to download
>
> --with-ssl= expects a path to a directory tree that includes include/ and
> lib/ subdirectories. You must ensure that your OpenSSL installation looks
> like that if you give a path to --with-ssl. If your libraries are in the
> "standard" location for your cross-compiler, then you shouldn't need to
> give a path at all.

No, I dont have openssl installed on my system. However, after
compiling openssl, I have include/ and lib/ subdirs on the openssl top
level source directory. This is my configure command for curl:

./configure --target=arm-linux --host=arm-linux
--build=i686-pc-linux-gnu
--prefix=/net/hc287/avr/downloads/curl-7.14.0/PREFIX/
--exec-prefix=/net/hc287/avr/downloads/curl-7.14.0/EXEC-PREFIX/
--with-ssl=/net/hc287/avr/downloads/openssl-0.9.8/ --enable-shared=no
--enable-static=yes

During configure, this is what I get:

checking for CRYPTO_lock in -lcrypto... no
checking for CRYPTO_add_lock in -lcrypto... no
configure: WARNING: SSL disabled, you will not be able to use HTTPS,
FTPS, NTLM and more.
configure: WARNING: Use --with-ssl or --with-gnutls to address this.

And if completes the configuration without ssl support. Why does it
ask me to use the --with-ssl option when I already have? Moreover, I'm
also in doubt as whether to use openssl libs for the host architecture
or the target architecture.

Thanks in advance,
anirudh