easy c/g/Xdialog/zenity progress indicator?

From: Bill Paxton <goawaypleaseus_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 18:08:17 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

With -# you do get a cleaner output, but it redraws the entire progress line. And that percentage
indicator with fractional amounts at the end of the line really screws Xdialog up. If I set the
length field of any of these dialog variants to 72 it ends way too soon, not only that - the bar
will shrink and grow.

In a perfect world some kind soul would implement a --progress-dialog that would output a single
character or dot for each percent complete, so a calling script could be as easy as:
curl --progress-dialog http://some.site/some.file | Xdialog --progress "downloading..." 0 0 100

Is there some trick / pipe magic to filter curl progress meter to be compatible with these GUI
tools?

Thanks,
BP