Re: Can't Resolve Host Problem

From: Eric S. Pecoraro <ericp_at_shepard.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 10:57:36 -0400

> On Mon, 20 Sep 2004, Eric S. Pecoraro wrote:
>
>> I seem to be having the same problem listed at
>> http://curl.haxx.se/mail/archive-2003-10/0140.html
>
> Please don't assume that. It is a whole lot easier for us to understand and
> debug this if you clearly and with details describe your own problem. As you
> have found out, the source doesn't look like that anymore and thus you cannot
> have the same error as was found back then.

You're right. Assumptions bad -- troubleshoot good.

>> Odd thing is, cURL will recognize the sub domains when prompted from another
>> server. It just won't recognize them if prompted from the server that hosts
>> the domain(s) (won't recognize a call to itself).
>
> But other ordinary tools do? (like telnet, ftp, ping etc?)

Aha ... didn't think of that. When I used the PHP command:
file_get_contents(foo.domain.com);
I got:
Warning: file_get_contents(): php_network_getaddresses: getaddrinfo failed:
Name or service not known

Looks like I have a self-serve DNS problem, because I can grab the wildcard
sub-domains from other servers. Unfortunately it looks like I'm back to the
drawing board... but at least with something more specific. Thanks for the
quick insight.

>> curl-7.12.0
>
> Can you show us a full output from curl -V?

Guess this is now a moot point?
curl 7.12.0 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) libcurl/7.12.0 OpenSSL/0.9.7a zlib/1.1.4
Protocols: ftp gopher telnet dict ldap http file https ftps
Features: Largefile NTLM SSL libz