RE: FTP CWD problem introduced with 7.11.x

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 16:28:22 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 26 May 2004, Ridley, John wrote:

> ftp> cd t:/ef/dd/dcs3
> 250 Directory changed to /t:/ef/dd/dcs3
> ftp> cd t:/ef/dd
> 550 /t:/ef/dd: Permission denied.

This is indeed thrilling. I fully understand your request now. I also see how
following RFC1738 won't do on a server like this.

> Perhaps we could work out some heuristics to attempt the full-path CWD in
> case the single-part CWD fails...
>
> Well, you can look for a 550, and if that happens, try the whole path before
> giving up.
> This method would of course have to be disabled if the user had specified
> --ftp-create-dirs.
>
> This still would cause me problems, since if I try to log into a directory
> that I do not have permission to, a counter increments in my account. Once
> it hits a certain value (something less than 10, I think) my account is
> disabled and I must call in and ask for it to be reset.

We could do the tests in a reversed order. We could (possibly as an option)
try the full path first, and only that fails try the individual pieces as
today.

> I am probably not going to be able to use curl anyway, since it appears that
> curl doesn't allow FTP access via a socks proxy (as soon as you say "socks"
> it says "http" even if the url says "ftp")

I wouldn't mind having it work. If it doesn't work today, it is because no one
ever wanted to do it and thus never made it work. Personally, I've never even
been near a SOCKS-proxy and I have thus never been able to work on the socks
code. I can't see anything in the source code that implies HTTP just because
you enable a socksproxy.

Of course, you can take that as a showstopper or a challange. I can't tell you
what to do.