RE: failure with proxy-ntlm, SSL

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 16:18:19 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 26 May 2004, David Byron wrote:

> Aaaaah. Much better. Works for me now with basic and NTLM authentication.

Goodie. It turned out to not be that complicated and my changes only made the
code easier to follow.

> Here's another busted attempt at a testcase for this
> (using basic authentication)? What am I missing? I can't seem to get
> these to work anymore. They always hang

Both this test case and the previous NTLM-using one you sent assume that the
HTTP server deals with CONNECT properly. It doesn't. This is of course just a
limitation in the curl test suite.

To make it act as a "normal" CONNECT it would take some work. First, the
CONNECT is sent to the HTTP-server (we only run one HTTP server in the test
suite and it doubles as a proxy for a bunch of tests) and the CONNECT would
need to tunnel the connection over to the HTTPS server (since that needs to do
the server-side SSL stuff).

Then, the HTTPS server in the test suite is just another (s)tunnel that
tunnels the connection over to the... HTTP server! So, unless we run two
servers or make the server fork() on incoming requests, we are stuck.

So, currently we can only do limited CONNECT-testing...