Re: Windows Crash - CURL bug..?

From: Gisle Vanem <gvanem_at_broadpark.no>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 13:53:28 +0100

"Daniel Stenberg" <daniel_at_haxx.se> said:

> I would say that the bug is in Windows. curl does nothing odd or spectacular
> in this case, it just writes all the downloaded data to stdout. Your operating
> system should be possible to stop that.
>
> In fact, I don't even know what I would do to "fix" this even if I wanted, as
> I don't know any faults in curl (that cause this).

I sympathise with the OP. Printing binary data to stdout can cause
havoc to any terminal settings. (I did that on Linux which caused the
display fonts to change!?). Especially Win-9x/ME is bad at handling this;
partly due to the large 4K console buffer.

curl could perhaps test the percentage of 8-bit chars and their
parity and abort if the stream is binary (and stdout isn't redirected).
Ref. how pppd detects if the serial-line is not 8-bit clean (routine
ppp_clean_check).

--gv