Re: Error: Couldn't resolve host...

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 17:01:28 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003, Jason D. Agostoni wrote:

> I am trying to use the latest release version of cUrl but I keep getting the
> "couldn't resolve host" error that I have seen a few times in the mail
> archives. I am assuming it is related to an older version of glibc but
> aside from upgrading glibc, is there anything else I can do?

However weird this might seem, these bug reports are new while the code that
fails is old... :-O

> Is there any more information I can provide for this list? My guess is that
> you are going to tell me to upgrade glibc but that may not be possible for
> me (I'll look into that).

In order to get to the bottom with this, I would really prefer if you did not
upgrade your glibc yet, since we want libcurl to work fine with all versions,
and instead I'd ask you try out a few fixes to see if they correct the problem
for you!

I would like to start this venture by asking you to try Dan C's "fix" as
posted just a few days ago on the libcurl list:

        http://curl.haxx.se/mail/lib-2003-10/0201.html

If that doesn't help, I would appreciate if you could build a libcurl with
debug enabled, and then single-stepped through the my_getaddrinfo() function
in lib/hostip.c when you attempt to resolve one of the hosts you fail to
resolve. It would help to understand exactly what's going on in there when it
fails to resolve the names.

I take it you don't have ipv6 enabled?