libcurl in perl - username/password pop up box

From: <Kenneth.Quan_at_wellsfargo.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 15:15:48 -0700

I'm trying to use libcurl in perl to accomplish the following task, I was
successful using command line curl the following way:
basically it's a popup box with username and password.
curl - u username:password http://proctected-url

but in perl as a simple test, I get a 401 Unauthorized

!/usr/local/bin/perl
use WWW::Curl::easy;

my $body="";
my $curl=WWW::Curl::easy->new();
my $code = $curl->setopt(CURLOPT_USERPWD, "username:password");
$code = $curl->setopt(CURLOPT_URL, "http://protected-url");
$code = $curl->setopt(CURLOPT_FILE, \$body);
$curl->perform();
print $body