Re: Curl &OpenSSL: Link failed

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 21:04:21 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003, Wei Ho wrote:

> I have tried to compile the curl with OpenSSL option. The linker failed
> with the following error messages:

This looks like bug #804599 reported here:

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=804599&group_id=976&atid=100976

> qsort 0x194 /apps/gnu/lib/libcrypto.a(a_set.o)
> closedir 0x874 /apps/gnu/lib/libssl.a(ssl_cert.o)

> ld: fatal: relocations remain against allocatable but non-writable sections

I googled for this, and the first matches were previous postings on the curl
site regarding this!

Richard Chen's solution as posted on June 18th
(http://curl.haxx.se/mail/archive-2003-06/0072.html) suggests a work-around by
building OpenSSL shared.

I found no other fix.

An older posting to the python bug tracker
(http://mail.python.org/pipermail/patches/2001-March/004236.html) seems to
indicate that gcc -G works differently than gcc -shared, even though there
seem to be different opinions on which version that works!

> By the way, Curl-7.10.4 was compiled and linked without any problems. The
> problem seems to start from release 7.10.5 and above.

We upgraded to libtool 1.5 (from 1.4.2) between those two versions... I
seriously think this is a libtool problem rather than a curl problem. Of
course it becomes our problem since we use libtool.