Re: ASCII ftp mode on Mac Darwin

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 17:34:52 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 9 Sep 2003, Doug McNutt wrote:

> In the "learned the hard way" department, I found that uploading a text file
> with the -B option from a Macintosh using curl as delivered by Apple needs
> special attention.

Correct. curl has poor FTP ASCII support. As mentioned in the TODO file, this
needs attention.

> It's probably easier to convert to 0D0A pairs and upload in binary mode

Yeps.

> which I think is what ftp ASCII mode is supposed to do anyway.

Pretty much, in your case at least.

> And no. I don't suggest a change. I wouldn't know which characters to insert
> during an ASCII download.

The necessary change would be to fix the FTP ASCII transfers to actually do
what RFC959 tells us to do. This requires some convertions of the stream that
curl currently doesn't do.