ASCII ftp mode on Mac Darwin

From: Doug McNutt <douglist_at_macnauchtan.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 06:11:24 -0600

In the "learned the hard way" department, I found that uploading a text file with the -B option from a Macintosh using curl as delivered by Apple needs special attention.

The line ends of the source file need to be UNIX style 0A's. If you upload a text file created by a classic MacOS application the effect is either a binary transfer or a transfer with all 0D's dropped. I'm not sure which.

It's probably easier to convert to 0D0A pairs and upload in binary mode which I think is what ftp ASCII mode is supposed to do anyway.

And no. I don't suggest a change. I wouldn't know which characters to insert during an ASCII download.

--
-->  There are 10 kinds of people:  those who understand binary, and those who don't <--