Re: testing curl

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2003 23:13:37 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 19 Jun 2003, David Byron wrote:

> I'm using curl for a project that needs to run on multiple target machines.
> For the rest of the project, I have dejagnu set up to deal with getting
> files to remote machines, executing them, parsing output, etc.
>
> I've run curl's tests locally and am just starting to dive in to getting
> them to run remotely, but I thought I'd ping the list to see if anyone else
> has done something similar, or thought about it and decided not to, etc.

I've never heard about anyone else doing work on this no, and I don't see the
point in doing so. What's the benefit?

> The existence of sws, and proxies makes things a bit more complicated. I'm
> just interested in running the client on multiple targets, at least to
> start. Running sws and the proxy on somewhere other than localhost will be
> useful though.

You mean on hosts where sws and the test scripts don't run but curl does?

Normally, if you just get curl to build, it'll work fine even if you can't
make the test suite to run. The test suite is actually a lot less portable
than curl itself.

> Dejagnu could be taught to manage it all. Not sure how much I'm signing up
> to do yet. What are the chances of patches implementing dejagnu-based tests
> getting accepted?

I know next to nothing about dejagnu so I wouldn't be able to answer this
without you telling me a lot more about what impact/effect such a change would
have on the test suite and my daily usage of it...