connection and security -- a question

From: Carter Harris <carter-lists_at_technettn.net>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 11:14:36 -0500

I'm trying to configure curl to upload a file to an FTP server. Both
the client and the server are behind a routers with only selected ports
open (i.e. ports backed by secure software).

The command I am using is:

I included the -v switch to get the following:

* About to connect() to <ftpaddress>:21
* Connected to <ftpaddress> (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx) port 21
> USER <uid>
> PASS <pwd>
* Entry path is '/c:/'
* Telling server to connect to yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy:3206
> PORT yyy,yyy,yyy,yyy,12,134
* Ordered connect of the data stream with PORT!
> TYPE I
> STOR bakfil.zip
* Timeout while waiting for server connect
Curl: (30) Timeout while waiting for server connect
* Closing connection #0

Since both of these computers are web servers I have a security
problem--how do I complete this connection without compromising security
on either end. (I currently backup every open port with software that
requires some type of security--a login for example.) I feel like the
problem is that the connection on port 3206 (whatever port is
assigned--it varies) cannot be done because that port is not open on the
client machine. I opened a port on the client machine and tried to
specify the port as part of the IP Address following the -P switch but
it didn't seem to work. The man page says "In practice, PORT tells the
server to connect to the client's specified address and port, while PASV
asks the server for an ip address and port to connect to."

Am I thinking clearly here? I there a way to specify the port to use?
Any suggestions on how to do this would be appreciated.

Carter