Re: Segmentation fault when running 'configure'

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 08:12:15 +0100 (MET)

On Sat, 30 Nov 2002, John Almberg wrote:

> There was a core file generated. Ran the following gdb cmd:
>
> plum:~/curl$ gdb -c core
> GDB is free software and you are welcome to distribute copies of it
> under certain conditions; type "show copying" to see the conditions.
> There is absolutely no warranty for GDB; type "show warranty" for details.
> GDB 4.16 (i486-slackware-linux), Copyright 1996 Free Software
> Foundation, Inc.
> Core was generated by `sh ./configure --prefix=/home/mydir/curl --with-ssl'.
> #0 0x80705a3 in ?? ()
> (gdb)

So this at least proves that bash is the program that cored. I'm not quite
sure what we should do about this.

Perhaps you can ask your admins to upgrade your bash?

You might be able to detect exctly what in the configure script that causes
bash to crash by invoking configure like this:

 $ sh -x ./configure --prefix=/home/mydir/curl --with-ssl

... since -x will give you a "trace" on what the shell is doing, sent to the
terminal.